Addiction treatment outcomes have greatly been enhanced through the use of alternative therapies. Today, there are quite a number of options for rehab such as the complementary, traditional, integrative and then the holistic rehab. In holistic rehab, the main focus is on the treatment of the whole person. Holistic has to do with complete systems instead of making treatment of, analysis of or dissection into sections. It is an attempt to provide treatment for both the body and the mind. This is what happens in such a luxury rehab center as the holistic sanctuary.
The holistic rehab, therefore, focuses on the treatment of the whole person touching the body, mind, and spirit. The conventional addiction treatment models mainly focus on psychotherapy, support groups, and self-help unlike for holistic rehab centers that address the wellbeing of the whole person. This has to do with addressing the relationship between body spirit and the mind. A number of addiction treatment centers making use of the conventional strategy also include the different holistic treatment ways.
Why Use Holistic Rehab?
A common detoxification process has been used in place of a wholesome approach but it has never produced lasting results. Essentially, the ability to overcome drug addiction takes a lot of time than some people are willing to wait. That is the reason why some people opt for a detox to get rid of the harmful substances inside their bodies. However, such an approach will only produce short-term results. For that reason, a holistic rehab is recommended to deal with the root cause of the addiction.
With a holistic rehab, the underlying concerns or exacerbating issues or problems leading to the addiction get addressed. It aims at preventing the continuous relapse on a daily basis as is the case in a detox procedure. A detox doesn’t help the addict understand the cause of the addiction neither does it provide counseling on the same. Again, a detox procedure does not help the addict learn and practice strategies of coping. This is only possible with the comprehensive and integrated holistic approach. The objective of a holistic rehab is to prepare the recovering person to lead a happier productive and confident life following the treatment.
Helping Addicts through Holistic Rehab
The holistic rehab doesn’t work in isolation. It is important to note that it is built upon the existing traditional rehab methods. Even with the focus on the whole person, a holistic rehab still makes use of both group and individual counseling together with intensive psychotherapy to realize its objectives. The holistic health is a concept that has been around for many years especially in India and China. It is believed that a healthy means of life enhanced healing instead of only laying a focus on the treatment of a particular section of the body.
Holistic rehab is all about treating the whole person. This approach provides a warm, conducive and healing surrounding, comfortable environment that is full of supporting and caring staff. Patients get recreational and therapeutic treatments that assist in the rebuilding of health and restoration of the mind, body and soothing their spirit that gets affected due to the addiction problem.
How Holistic Rehab is conducted
To realize the treatment of the whole person, there are a number of activities and therapies that are used in holistic rehab. Here is a list of the main ones:
· Acupuncture. This has been found useful in easing withdrawal symptoms of addiction and enhances outcomes of the same.
· Meditation. Mindfulness and meditation help in stress reduction and in enhancing their welfare.
· Relaxation. There are techniques of relaxation used by therapists to assist people to recover from addiction and bring back harmony and balance. More than that, it helps in coping with stress and focusing on recovery. This is realized through biofeedback, progressive relaxation, breathing exercises, and self-hypnosis.
· Massage. This healing modality is used to soothe those with addiction issues.
· Imagery. Guided imagery, virtual reality, and other imagery therapy types help in the management of cravings, insomnia anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms.
· Yoga. Done together with mindfulness, Yoga serves as a robust holistic therapy useful in the treatment of different types of addiction. These two teach insight, skills, and self-awareness targeting processes of relapse and addiction.
Not many people find it easy going into a rehab center since addiction is not easy to deal with looking into the time that goes into it. However, holistic rehab comes with a promise of treating the whole person and preparing them to live confident following the treatment.